There’s no doubt about it: you can find podcasts on any subject you’re interested in. Yes, there’s wellness, self-improvement, true crime, sport, food, politics, business… But there are all kinds of weird and wonderful topics covered, too, from dental hacks to the history of garden gnomes. Podcasts really do open up a whole new world of ideas.
With many of us spending more time at home, there has been a significant increase in the consumption of podcasts. Some people listen to random one-off episodes when they have the time and others love to follow an entire series, or have favourite podcast hosts. As of April 2021, there were over two million podcasts and more than 48 million podcast episodes available to listeners. This is pretty startling growth, considering there were just over 500,000 active podcasts just three years ago in 2018.
The pandemic has been particularly fruitful for podcast growth in Australia. According to The Infinite Dial 2021 report, 26 per cent of the population aged 12-plus now listen to podcasts weekly – a 53 per cent rise over last year’s study, which was conducted prior to lockdown periods. Now, Australian listeners tune in to an average of five podcasts per week.
As coaches, we are always on the lookout for resources that are resonating with people. We know that the World Economic Forum's Future of Jobs Report 2020 tells us that active learning and learning strategies will be among the most highly sought skills by 2025. Podcasts are a great way to stretch your knowledge, challenge your own beliefs and stimulate new ideas.
Today we are sharing six podcasts that you might not have heard of, which our clients and coaching team are loving. Enjoy!
- Rich Roll – Each week, the Rich Roll podcast delves deep into all things wellness with some of the brightest and most forward-thinking, paradigm-busting minds in health, fitness, nutrition, art, entertainment, entrepreneurship and spirituality. Intimate, deep and often intense, these are not interviews; they are conversations. A weekly aural dance designed to provoke, educate, inspire and empower you to discover, uncover, unlock and unleash your best, most authentic self.
- Huberman Lab with Dr Andrew Huberman – The Huberman Lab podcast discusses neuroscience: how our brain and its connections with the organs of our body controls our perceptions, our behaviours and our health. They also discuss existing and emerging tools for measuring and changing how our nervous system works. Dr Andrew Huberman is a tenured professor of neurobiology and ophthalmology at Stanford School of Medicine. His laboratory studies neural regeneration and neuroplasticity, and brain states such as stress, focus, fear and optimal performance.
- The You Project with Craig Harper – The You Project is a 30–90-minute dose of inspiration and education hosted by Craig Harper, with great stories, ideas, strategies and lessons from high performers in sport, business, science, media and health. Craig finds brilliant and inspiring stories to share, with a wide variety of topics covered. He is one of Australia’s leading presenters, writers and educators in the areas of health, high performance, resilience, self-management, leadership, corporate change, communication, stress management, addiction and personal transformation. Craig has worked as an exercise scientist, corporate speaker, consultant, university lecturer, AFL conditioning coach, radio host, TV presenter, writer and successful business owner. Craig is partnering with the neuroscience team at Monash University, exploring the spectrum of human thinking and behaviour, with a specific focus on addiction and its treatment. He’s also completing a PhD in neuropsychology.
- All In The Mind – ABC RN's weekly podcast looking into the mental universe, the mind, brain and behaviour — everything from addiction to artificial intelligence.
- How I Built This – Award-winning reporter, radio and podcast host and creator Guy Raz dives into the stories behind some of the world's best known companies, weaving a narrative journey about innovators, entrepreneurs and idealists and the movements they built.
- The Mindset Mentor – This podcast is designed for anyone desiring motivation, direction and focus in life. Host Rob Dial has amassed a passionate fanbase of over three million social media followers, including business professionals, entrepreneurs and small business owners, who are drawn to his expertise and passion for helping motivate people to become the best version of themselves. In this podcast, Rob blends neurology, neurobiology, psychology, early childhood development and cognitive behavioural therapy so that you can understand the way your brain and body work together, because when you understand yourself, it makes it much easier to make a plan to change and succeed. When you master your mindset, you master your life.
- From your Coach Place Global team
This content is the intellectual property of The Coach Place Global and not for distribution or reproduction of any kind. For further detail please refer to our full terms and conditions.