No other single human on this planet thinks, feels or looks the same as you. Your experiences, beliefs and values shape every decision you make. The thoughts we have about ourselves and the world we live in shape how we behave and have relationships. Current research tells us that up to 95 per cent of our thoughts can be habitual. So it makes sense that the thoughts we're having all day long literally determine how we feel. 'Beliefs' help us express the how, what, when, where and why of who we are in a distinctive and personalised way, and they help us express what’s important to us. Most of us more easily express our concerns, challenges and failings within the context of our personal thoughts and views.
Here's six coaching questions to support your personal growth when it comes to understanding why you think the way you do:
- Are my thoughts my own, or did I just learn them from someone else?
- What am I doing to ensure my thoughts are evolving with my growth?
- What do I find myself thinking about when I have nothing to do?
- What daily/habitual thoughts do I have that don’t serve me?
- Do I dedicate enough quiet time to think and process?
- What’s the story I tell myself about who I am and who I want to be?
The thoughts we have play a significant role in our identity. Our coaching team often have this conversation with our clients. It’s an important one. Thoughts and beliefs have been mapped in our brains from the time of birth. We really do become what we think about all day long. We often start our coaching sessions with these questions:
- What’s most on your mind at the moment?
- What’s waking you up at night?
- What can’t you stop thinking about?
We hope you’ve found this quote of the day to be thought-provoking!
– The Coach Place Global
This content is the intellectual property of The Coach Place Global and not for distribution or reproduction of any kind. For further detail please refer to our full terms and conditions.