There’s lots of things in life that can throw us out of whack. Yes, that’s the technical term. Our sense of balance, routine and energy can be upset by all kinds of experiences. Uncertainty and grief are strong derailers, and positive things like getting married or being offered a promotion can have the same effect. We grown-ups are not always great with any form of change, whether it’s perceived as negative or positive. We coaches are always interested in what people’s coping mechanisms are.
What do you do when life feels complex, hard or different? Some people become very attached to their routine, whilst others throw everything out the window. Isn’t it annoying that sometimes we do things that we know aren’t good for us? Common behaviours people flex into include: overeating, stopping exercise, neglecting healthy rituals, withdrawing from friends and drinking more alcohol than normal.
The inner child for many of us is strong. Sometimes a little decompression or letting off steam feels good. We hear you! If you have found yourself saying, ‘That’s a terrible idea. What time...?’ here are a few thoughts to keep in mind:
- If you are making the somewhat reckless decision or bad choice based on a feeling that is likely to pass, consider ways to refuel and rest.
- Consider the true consequences. Are you prepared to take responsibility for what’s on the other side?
- Don’t let one bad day become two!
- Practice self-soothing and self-care. Yes, they are different things.
- If your terrible ideas are based on victim thinking or made-up excuses, stop it!
- Invest time in doing something that’s really good for you, and see if that shifts your current mindset
Take care of you and make the best decisions you can.
- The Coach Place Global
This content is the intellectual property of The Coach Place Global and not for distribution or reproduction of any kind. For further detail please refer to our full terms and conditions.