Have you tried to change things in your life before and it hasn’t worked? Monday morning you're highly motivated to have a sugar-free week with lots of exercise. By Wednesday, you're feeling too tired for the gym and wanting a mid-afternoon chocolate muffin. Old habits die hard and longstanding beliefs can sabotage you moving forward with your goals. Life gets busy and creating change can feel like it requires energy and headspace that you don’t have. Guess what? There’s time. It’s not too late and today you can implement some strategies that ensure you master change after all.
To create positive change, you need to be resolute, committed and courageous. Only you can do what’s required each day to integrate what’s needed for an amazing life. Here are six strategies you can implement to ensure the changes you make get you the results you want.
- Make a decision to begin – Creating change is often about small and consistent steps. It’s about getting started and creating momentum. When you feel the change happening, it often brings a sense of accomplishment and energises you. We often make the start of personal change a big deal. We start on Monday, we tell lots of people and this often just brings pressure. Start today, don’t wait for a Monday! It can be small, just make sure you do it again tomorrow.
- Play and plan big – This is your one shot to live an amazing adventure. Be ambitious when thinking about what you want to change most. Consider what you want to be able to say about this life when you are 80 years old and sitting on the veranda reflecting on the experiences you had. Happy and fulfilled people aren’t necessarily those who are the smartest or best educated – they're the ones who are brave enough to own what they want. What are you really capable of?
- Make yourself your most important project – Investing in you is the most important investment you will ever make. Think strategically about the life you are living and where you are heading. Set deadlines and consult experts who'll support your changes and growth. Create a vision board, identify blockers and review your progress. How can you make you, and your future, a priority?
- Do what other people aren’t prepared to do – The world is full of people who start stuff, but never follow through. Do what’s needed to make your changes work by being prepared to compromise and learn. Keep going even when it’s hard and you don’t want to. Don’t wait and don’t give in. When your motivation has passed, it'll be your commitment that keeps you going. Are you prepared to do what’s required?
- Find your tribe – Surround yourself with people who want you to succeed, who'll challenge you to be more and who understand your true potential. Your tribe extends beyond friends and family. They're people who'll challenge you and celebrate you as your changes become evident. Identify those in your world who you trust and will tell you the truth. No energy vampires allowed! Who do you know?
- Get uncomfortable – It's true, the greatest learning happens in discomfort. To know what you're really capable of, you have to test out your resilience and capabilities. You don’t know what you don’t know about you yet. Ensure the changes you're making allow for you to be as awesome as your best friend thinks you are. Intentionally look for new experiences and meet people out of your network. When was the last time you felt really uncomfortable?
Proactively create the change you need to live a life that makes you want to jump out of bed in the morning. Be prepared to take some risks, make some mistakes and learn some stuff about yourself that you didn’t know. On the other side of change is a more resilient version of you – a version of you who can step up, take ownership and drive your own success – whatever that means for you.
To help you on your way, check out these inspirational TED Talks for finding a ‘better you’:
– The Coach Place Global team
This content is the intellectual property of The Coach Place Global and not for distribution or reproduction of any kind. For further detail please refer to our full terms and conditions.